1. What enhances the growth rate of precipitation?
a. Upward currents
b. Cycloninc movement
c. Advective action
2. A Baron pilot planning to depart at 1100Z on an IFR flight is particularly concerned about the hazard of icing. What sources reflect the most accurate information on icing conditions [current and forecast] at the time of departure?
a. The Area Forecast and the Freezing Level Chart
b. Pilot weather reports [PIREPs], AIRMETs and SIGMETs
c. Low-Level Significant Weather Prognostic Chart and the Area Forecast
3. Completion of an annual inspection and the return of the aircraft to service should always be indicated by:
a. An entry in the aircraft maintenance records
b. Completion of an alteration and repair form
c. Issuance of a new airworthiness certificate
d. Issuance of an aircraft registration certificate
4. Restricted category civil aircraft are normally prohibited from flight:
a. Within Class D airspace
b. Within 20 n.m. of Class B airspace areas
c. Over densely populated areas
d. Under instrument flight rules
5. The responsibility for ensuring that an aircraft is maintained in an airworthy condition is primarily that of the:
a. Maintenance shop
b. Owner or operator of the aircraft
c. The pilot in command of the aircraft
d. Certified mechanic who signs the aircraft maintenance records
6. On initial climb-out after takeoff and with the autopilot engaged, you encounter icing conditions. In this situation you can expect:
a. The autopilot to hold the vertical speed if the anti-icing boots are working.
b. Ice to accumulate on the underside of the wings due to the higher AOA, providing minimum ice penetration speed is not maintained.
c. The increased airflow under the wings to prevent the accumulation of ice.
Answers: 1. a; 2. b; 3. a; 4. c; 5. c; 6. b